Re: Aryabhatta [sic] Linux

Nagarjuna G. saw fit to inform LI that:

>Any of you following the press coverage of Aryabhatta [sic] Linux?
>This is the hot topic here in ILUG-BOM list.  The way Mr. Vishal Gupta has
>been talking about, being the first indian OS etc, etc, is making most of us

This is the same company which touted "Aryan Linux" in Bang!Linux.  They
were laughed out of the place as a bunch of idiots, and now have come back
in a new disguise.

>here boil.  The so called first indian OS is nothing but RH 6.1, with a few
>changes here and there. I will post the observations in detail soon.  The

Specifically, PCQ redhat 6.1 (down to the DOSsy commands and support for
sis 6215c cards)

>ill-informed journalists gave so much of front-page coverage! We are all
>really surprised to see how a technical magazine like Express Computers has

Express Computers?  IIRC, they recently published a "cool link" -

http://astalavista.box.sk
This is a cool site, where you can download small patch to remove the 30
day restriction on several programs.

Right, buddies - they gave publicity to a w4r3z site.  (don't ask me to
get the paper, as I usually throw Express Computers into the dustbin,
where it belongs).

>We are going to review the product and release a press statement soon (on
>monday). If any of you have already done it or in the process of doing it,

Ref previous threads on "Aryan Linux" and compare the two.

>please get in touch with me. I personally think LI should also consider
>reviewing the case and clarify particularly the press about the issue.

... and PC Quest as well.  It is _their_ customized Linux that's being
ripped off so blatantly.

These crooks need a public dressing down (sounds much more picturesque in
Hindi - chaddi uthaarna) <g> - and LI is the best group to do it ;)

>Meanwhile look at the http://www.linuxa2z.com

utter crap  - and totally bloated crap at that.  Color coordination is
horrible - and somebody has just decided to show the world "I know
Macromedia Fireworks, nya nya nya".

Also, will you look at this --

Basic User Module Systems (1 week for ls/cp/rm/kppp etc) - 3k.

Admin - Apache, Squid, Sendmail etc in 3 weeks for 4500/-.

I can't bear to see what sort of "sysads" they'll produce - trained on
this brokenware, and let loose to add several open relays and r00table
boxes to the world.

sigh... Next step will be that they'll start spamming LI-* I suppose.
They haven't done that yet but if they do ... <slurp> ;)

Suresh Ramasubramanian | sureshr at staff.juno.com
Johnson's First Law:
	When any mechanical contrivance fails, it will do so at the
	most inconvenient possible time.