Re: Formal Member Registration

hi,

> From: Soumyanath Chatterjee <soumyac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Linux India General <linux-india-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [LIG] Formal Member Registration
> Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 12:06 AM
>
> You name any professional society and they all have a membership fee
so --
> WHY NOT LUG ?

Is a LUG really a professional society???

> 1. A LUG member must be a registered Linux user.

Not all linux users are likely to have access to the Net... hence
unsuitable, besides it has to be voluntary decision on part of the user
should s/he choose to do so...

> 2. Must clear some formal examination or demonstrate some proficiency
in
> Linux

Do this... you take away all the fun.... remember LUGs are very much
about advocacy, it means a large number of newbies and people with
varying levels expertise, interest and experience... hence this is
clearly unacceptable...

> 3. LUG may certify the training institutes offering Linux courses
(for this
> a fee may be charged)

> 4. There may be a category of corporate members -- which can use the
> knowledge available with LUG for corporate gains

"Corporate gains" sounds suspicious to me... the LUG is not there to
sell services to corporates, neither can it be a source of cheap
expertise for corporates who would otherwise have to pay for the
consultation at industry average rates.

> BUT paid membership for LUG is a big NO -- I don't want LUG to become
APB
> (another professional body).

Now you really have me confused.....!!!! ;-)

--Indra.