ILUG-Chennai -- Meeting Minutes

Hello,

	The minutes are -NOT- going to get cross-posted, as in, they
won't appear on Linux-India-HELP ... and yes, we pretty much did
what's mentioned below, yesterday evening, in our meet :)

	Arun missed out one tiny bit too -- Zameer educated some
rather unwilling (well, tried to educate, at any rate...) and
unsuspecting people about the intricacies of Caldera OpenLinux
eDesktop 2.4 ... and its many clones/cousins .. and how some
FrameBuffer-ing works ... but then again, Arun was busy bashing
$Linux-Distribution in the corner, and kinda missed this out ;) <ducks>

								--ravi.

-----

--- Begin Message ---
Folks,

        The minutes for today's meeting follow. Apologies to anyone
who may wanted to write these, I decided to take up the responsibility
one last time :). Ravi, could you please forward this to the
linux-india-general mailing list ?

----------

			ILUGC-20052000
			--------------

	ILUGC met at the Computer Centre, IIT-Madras, for it's
traditional third-Saturday meet. While attendance was not taken up,
about 20 members showed up for the meeting.

	On the cards today were Caldera 2.4 eDesktop and SuSE 6.4
installs. Both proceeded flawlessly in serial order on a machine
provided by our webmaster, Deivanayak. The slick graphical installs
characteristic of the distributions provoked a bit of musing, with
old-timers commenting on Debian and Slackware being the only two
mainstream distributions still sticking to a text-console based
install.  The Caldera boxed set and demonstration CDs (provided by
Caldera dealers KCG Ltd.), as well as the SuSE 6.4 CDs brought by
Maneesh vanished into backpacks and pockets with usual speed.

	A motion thanking Lateral Software and OS4 for their support
during the PCQ Expo was tabled and passed unanimously (come on fellow,
next we'll have an account of rioting in the aisles over distribution
loyalties, and the assembly being adjourned sine die ! :).

	With the installs proceeding in the background (in this case,
literally and figuratively !), the assembled group broke up into
smaller clusters, for intense discussions on varied topics, the groups
meandering out into the night. It did resemble some of our earlier
sessions in this aspect.

	Prior to the onset of darkness, and when a sizable fraction of
people were still present, Zameer's DLR captured a few
photographs. We'll hopefully be able to put them up on the site soon.

							-arun

--
arun krishnaswamy	<kar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>	<arun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://prometheus.home.dhs.org	PGP: 0x5606B2B1 GPG: 1024D/C75FD05C