Re: Re: Re: Linux India Knowledge Base

Atul Chitnis saw fit to inform LI that:

>So? Merging is no big deal at all. It is just a question of a database of
>links, with a main answer and "see-also"s.

In fact, as Wilma already tracks followup threads, this should not be too
much of a problem either.  If something on the lines of wget could be used
to track a thread and download all messages in the thread, then ok.

>Uh, I had no intention of "homogenizing" people's efforts to contribute.
>Whatever the form of the message may be, it is an individual's

Fine, OK.  Leaving the English alone, there's still the point of
organizing the information.  Consider the situation -

1. Query posted
2. Mostly good HOWTO, with a few errors
3. Long thread following up on each error (and generating a few errors)
4. Original HOWTO poster (may / may not) post a revised HOWTO.

.... if such a revised howto exists for any thread, then well and
good.  However, expecting someone to wade through a large thread to track
down a few errors defeats the purpose of a FAQ.  The man could just as
well search the LIH archives directly - having the FAQ becomes redundant
in such a case.

So, compromise - give a condensed HOWTO, and link to the howto posted on
the LI archives.  As Wilma tracks messages by thread, no further work is
needed on linking to everything in the thread.

Suresh Ramasubramanian + President, CAUCE India + www.india.cauce.org
Stopping Spam In India + suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx + Spammers are Losers
--
A woman is only as old as the man she feels    -- Mae West