[OT] Hackers

>1. what has this got to do with VSNL. They have set many things right. -
>more than can be said for others. How many of the others have been
informed-
>by clued people?
>2. If you have information that something is not OK then yell , scream etc.
>to the concerned people  from the TOP. Action DOES  get taken.The sites you
>are talking about got defaced due to the negligence of the sysadmins
>concerned. It's nothing new- or specific to India. Happens everywhere. If
>you find anthing amiss, report it. However , if you start defending wannabe
>crackers  in the name of rousing everyone's attention , I beg to
>disagree.IMHO , morally we put ourselves hopelessly in the wrong and come
>down to their level. ( The crackers').

vsnl and dot are the premier ISP and gate way of India, one can only imagine
plight of other server.
And how can we think of e-commerce with such mess around?
Defacing of sight is real shame on the country. Have you heard nasa, yahoo,
altavista, aol, ..... the list is endless, site is defaced any time?

>> It could be partially true in case of vsnl, but situation with dot is
>worst.
>> The server admin are the people drawn from the telephone department and
do
>> not know ABC of *nix.
>They are a hopeless lot, from our experience too. However, The VSNL servers
>DO seem to be robust from the outside , as much as any server on the net
can
>be, now-a-days.

Yes they are from out side, but once you are inside, the whole lot opens up.
And getting inside with a legal account will cost only 1500 bucks or may
be even less. Off late vsnl has also stared on line registration, which can
hide the identity of a valid user too.

><snip>
>> If people would have responded to critisism of their server / software
>then
>> bugtraq would have never existed.
></ Snip>
>Posts are made to Bugtraq after it has been seen that a vendor has nopt
>responded or after a fix is found. All these presuppose that the vendor is
>*always* informed. I doubt that in this case sibiyan had gone around
>informing all the concerned in VSNL , from the top.( Correct me if I am
>wrong!)
>
><snip>
>> I really wonder why discussion on exploits is being slammed every time.
Is
>> this list only for video/sound/mail problem only. No wonder bugtraq has
>> membership of more than 20,000 and linux-india only 1000.
></snip>
>Discussions on security are welcome- Not on Boasts of alleged exploits
>without fixes. ONLY Those have been flamed. Check the archives on LI, now
>LIH( In my knowledge at least)

On the other had you check the archive and find out what is the percentage
of mail related to Linux security.

BTW I want to take off heat of general list too, mail me directly if you
want.

Best Regards,
M.S.Deshmukh,
Director.