Re: List Charter

Atul Chitnis saw fit to inform LIG that:

>- Changing the mindset: How to make people look beyond just installation.

... and SiS cards / YMF 724 sound cards :)

>- Microsoft's new strategy: Targetting state governments - how can Linux
>counter that.

Advantage - NIC (which provides connectivity to state govts) already uses
Unix (Solaris or SCO, mostly). So, convincing ~them~ to switch to Linux
will pay more dividends.

>- Unifying and accelerating the growth of Linux efforts in India

An inter-LUG meeting would do wonders.  ILUG-Hyd is doing a lot here (we
get stalls <sponsored / donated>) in most PC expos that come along, and
showcase Linux.  Most of the other guys being typical marketers selling
the same old crud, Linux ~really~ rules, attracting over 5 times the crowd
in all the other stalls.

>- Linux in Indian education: are we doing anything to help?

Doc Partha does this at all the engg colleges he goes to - esp those in
remote areas which have a large bunch of trashed old 8088 / 286
boxen.  Makes them all into dumb terminals with just serial cables
... presto, brand new lease of life for them, much better than running DOS
based junk on 'em.

>- Linux not ready for the desktop????

There ~are~ a few things still needed for the desktop --

1. An accounting package (like Tally / EX)
2. Slightly better version of Star Office

>Anyone else who has anything to contribute to the charter of this list?

A warning like that which turns up when you post to usenet using, say,
PINE.  "Message could go out to thousands of people.  Do you still want to
post this?"

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx