Re: Indecent perl ?

Thus spake Arun Sharma:

>http://www.ora.com/news/prescod_0300.html
>I think the attack on perl was unnecessary. But the point of a magazine
>article is not be 100% fair all the time. Creation of a little bit of

He does have quite a few points though.  Most of what's around is heavily
C and C++ oriented, and ~is~ arcane when it comes to readablity.  It's
not that easy to grok for a newbie, which is why said newbies unanimously
ditch PERL and go into ASP :)

Someone from a totally 'doze (and especially BASIC, rather than C)
background like the author would have a substantially harder time
understanding PERL.  It's a matter of taste.

Another thing is that code these days is more often than not coded by A,
maintained by B and C, and debugged by X, Y and Z.  Short time schedules
make RAD tools necessary (I hate them though).  I have yet to see a RAD
tool for PERL, and I don't feel up to debugging somebody else's PERL code.

Yet another reason for something easily readable (like say ASP) being
popular.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx