Re: [LIG] Re: [LI] kernel hackers welcome

>>"Arun" == Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Arun> On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 03:33:38PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 Arun> The real issue is, Indian engineers are driven by money. Not
 Arun> many people have the time, energy and resources to
 Arun> contribute. The few who do, go for the big money and are not
 Arun> exactly Richard Stallman fans

 >> There are Indian engineers who are not driven by money, and
 >> who do have the time, energy and resources to contribute to free
 >> software -- and if you do want just pure kernel hackers, these are
 >> lsited below.
 >>
 >> I still don't think your rant about Indian developers being
 >> driven by money is true in general, please speak for yourself.

 Arun> I stand by my statement - having worked at/with a number of commercial
 Arun> UNIX vendors and having seen the number of Indian software engineers
 Arun> who work there and comparing it to the number of Indian software engineers
 Arun> who write code for "Stallmanistic" reasons.

        Oh, we are down to anecdotal evidence? ANd your number stil
 may not hold; looking at the total number of programmers in
 the US, and the number mentioned in the Credits file, I think the
 ration of Credits file denizens /total  number of programmers is
 likely to be really close.

 Arun> Both of them were my colleagues on the IA-64 project and they
 Arun> are essentially in the same boat as me - paid to write
 Arun> software.  As for the rest, I consider them an exception,
 Arun> rather than the rule - assuming that for the lack of sufficient
 Arun> info they were not paid to write that code.

 Arun> Also significant is the fact that all these Indian software engineers
 Arun> who know enough to be kernel hackers don't contribute to the Linux
 Arun> kernel because there is no financial incentive to do so.

        This is getting silly. This helps niether Linux, nor Linux in
 India, so I'll end this.

        Fot the record, I object to being tarred in the same brush you
 paint yourself and your axquantiances in. Picture yourself all you
 want has money hungry materialistic programmers who would not
 contribute to free software without being paid for it all you want,
 but do not have the arrogance to assume that you represent Indians in
 general.

        No wonder you like BSD -- you are not intereseted in coding
 free software, you are driven, by your own admission, by the profit
 motive. You don't really understand the people behind Linux, and
 other free software projects -- and thus you disparage us, calling us
 stalmanists,

        Given the4 difference between our viewpoints, and the
 revulsion I feel towards one whio believes that the profit motive is
 paramount, nay, almost exclusive, I don't think we have much to say
 that can be fruitful; certainly, our views are far enough apart there
 is little hope of ever convincing the other.

        Rather than subject this mailing list to such unpleasantness
 (I was going to say internecine, but I do nto think that applies
 anymore), I shall refrain from engaging you in a dialogue any
 further.

        Have a nice life.

        manoj
--
 "...The Universe is thronged with fire and light, And we but smaller
 suns, which, skinned, trapped and kept Enshrined in blood and