[LIG] Re: Linus on commercial software

>>"Arun" == Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Arun> On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 01:53:06AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> I just have to say this about the BSD styyle of licence: I had
 >> a box on my desk till last month: it ran BSD software. But I had no
 >> access to the sources, and I had to wait for months to get action on
 >> bug reports, and upgrading the beastie cost several thousand dollars
 >> (real money, by any account). So much for the myth of ``free'' BSD
 >> software.

 Arun> Now you're coming down to the enforcing of the license.

        Huh? Where did I talk about enforcement?

 Arun> Are you saying that enforcing GPL is easier ?

        Easier than what? Where did enforcement enter into this?

 Arun> Since you're using a specific example of BSD licensed software
 Arun> to prove that the BSD license is bogus, let me counter by
 Arun> citing a specific example where it works well - FreeBSD.

        You have no idea what I amtalking about, do you?

 Arun> Now, if the guy who gave you the BSD software didn't want to
 Arun> publish the source, that's his prerogative. He is `free' to do
 Arun> as he wishes. Note that he is no longer using the BSD license
 Arun> if he doesn't give you the source.

        Interesting sue of the word free. Yup, used to be open source,
 and is closed now. Couldn't have happened if the GPL were used. Guess
 why I use the GPL?

        manoj
--
 Mathematics is the only science where one never knows what one is
 talking about nor whether what is said is true. Russell