Re: [LI] Re: DVD-ROM on Linux?

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 07:23:53PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 07:59:33AM +0518, Manoj Victor Mathew wrote:
> > GPL helps me protect my work.
>
> Protect from what ? What have you got to lose if someone else makes
> some money and offers some more choices to consumers ?

What have they got to lose if I take their source, enhance it and sell
it as free software? They still have their original work intact.  But
they don't let me do it. Then why should I let them take my work?

> You just lose access to works derived from the proprietary branch,
> correct ? Your freedom to look at the source code produced by people
> who think like you is uninhibited.

The proprietary branch contains code that I developed. The enhanced
product is sold as such, which clearly includes my work.

If they cannot give me their work, then I cannot give them my work.

By GPL'ing my programs I can be sure that no one takes my code and
re-distributes it as proprietary software.

--
Do you support 'free software'?  Visit http://mvm.linuxbox.com

Manoj Victor Mathew  (GPG#: 3D96A9B9)
Cochin, India.