Re: Linux and Java--a tale of two revolutions

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Raj Mathur wrote:

> Java's write-once-deploy-anywhere is very attractive to people.
> Combine that with the magic of OOP (it's still magic, even if it sucks
> unless you're really good at design), and you have a winning
> combination in the market.  Now if only Netscape had embedded Perl as
> a VM instead of Java, we could have been breaking new barriers
> everyday.

I agree. It is actually the early adoption by people like Netscape (who
thought they could replace the OS with their browser) that caused the
whole Java thingy to take off. The lemmings syndrome at work. I mean, any
dope would have realised that MS would go and pervert the environment to
put an end to this "write once, run anywhere" business, which is really
the only reason why one would consider it.

> One of the reasons I never took up Pascal actually -- I want a
> language which lets me make mistakes if I want to, not one which
> molly-coddles me...  I already have a Mother :-)

This means war! ;-)

I can make as many mistakes as I want in Pascal (especially FreePascal) -
it is up to me whether I let the compiler die on the compile or accept my
better judgement.

Seriously - I really cannot figure out how this is supposed towork - Java
programs are as huge as C/C++ programs, and as Arun has pointed out, they
need tons of RAM. How are they *ever* going to build a Toaster big enough
to put that into????

Atul