Re: LI traffic and a proposal

Hi,

Atul Chitnis typed:
> LID will probably die, but the other lists would all have digest options,
> so not to fear. You will probably be thankful for that, especially because
> it will give you an option *not* to receive a huge megabyte-sized LIG
> digest monster.... ;-)

LID will definitely have to die! For the other lists, since the
traffic is supposed to be much less than the original main LI list,
this means the frequency of digests will reduce. Currently, I receive
around 2-3 digests a day (during weekdays). Assuming the list is split
into 5, the frequency of digests from a particular list will reduce to
less than 1 a day - unless the size of the digest is reduced from 40K
to something less (to maintain the same frequency - it'll have to be
reduced to 8K). This defeats the purpose of the digest, since 8K
hardly contains 4 to 5 messages.

What I suggest, is that subscribers who want the mailing list in
digest form should be able to receive a single digest containing
messages from all the lists they are subscribed to. I don't think
Majordomo can do this (correct me if I'm wrong), but we could probably
hack up a small app to do it..

--
Mrinal Kalakrishnan <mrinal@xxxxxxxxx> (PGP:B1E86F5B) http://listen.to/mrinal
- - - - = ( Redhat Linux 6.1 ) = - - - - = ( Kernel 2.2.12-20 ) = - - - -