Re: [LI] Message from RMS.

Arun, why do you insist on misinterpreting my statements in public
fora?  The example that you give of ostensibly ``Raj's increasing the
weath argument'' is nothing of the kind!  The whole point I was trying
to make was that when you share material stuff, the total amount of
wealth in the world does not increase.  OTOH, when you share
intangibles WHICH DO NOT COST YOU BY SHARING the total amount of
wealth DOES increase while not reducing your personal wealth.

Let me give an example in words of 2 syllables:

1.  I make a map program which helps my wife avoid traffic jams at
peak traffic hours.

2.  Because of this program my wife manages to lessen her travelling
time by 1 hour/per on the average.

3.  The total amount of wealth in the world has increased by 1
man-hour/day (person-hour? Bah, let me be labelled a sexist).

4.  I put the program up on an FTP site for downloading.

5.  5000 people download and use this program.

6.  Each person manages to save 1 hour/day as a result.

7.  Now the total amount of wealth in the world has gone up by 5001
man-hours/day.

Note the important points here:

1.  My wife's gains are still hers.  If she gained 1 hour/day by using
the program exclusively, it does not get reduced to 0.0002 hour/day
when 5000 people use the program.  See the difference between software
and money?

2.  It does not cost me anything to upload the program to an FTP
server.

So please refrain from equating sharing of software, documents and
information with philanthropy.  Philanthropy is when you give away
something which lessens your personal wealth.  Sharing (and the spirit
of the GNU) is when you give away something which still remains with
you and also helps other people.

I hope I managed to make the difference clear.  If not, just go ahead
and send another misguided missile^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmessage and I shall
explain again at great length -- that's what you all really want,
right? ;-)

Regards,

-- Raju