Re: [LI] Message from RMS.

>>"Arun" == Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Arun> (a) If you are implying that Hurd is better technology, because it is
 Arun>     a microkernel,

        I am not. I have posted what I find intriguing in the HURD
 elsewhere in this list.

 Arun>     talk to Linus. He's known for his hatred of the concept to
 Arun>     the extent of showing up on comp.os.linux.advocacy on a
 Arun>     busy day when several top execs are trying to get him on
 Arun>     phone :)

        So what? I respect Linux, and heis certainly a respected
 programmer, but his credentials in CS research are sadly lacking. And
 just becuase he has succesfully developed a UNIX like OS, borrowing
 heavily on established technology, does not give him hte last word on
 cutting edge CS concepts. He does not even have a doctrate i the
 field that is not honorary.

 Arun>     He even accuses research people who were into microkernels as being
 Arun>     either stupid or intellectually dishonest (to research micro kernels
 Arun>     just to get funding).

        Heh. When I listen to an undergrad about post doctorate
research ...

 Arun>     That's not to say - Linus is God and what he says must be the Bible
 Arun>     attitude (I find this implication in popular press
 Arun>     distasteful).

        Good. We agree here.

 Arun> (b) Linux is the most iconoclastic OS around, in ignoring a lot of
 Arun>     academic research in operating systems. CMU Mach has been the darling
 Arun>     of academic research community for a whole decade. Yet, Linux hasn't
 Arun>     incorporated anything from those research papers.

        One word: as you said: Linus.

  [SNIP a lot of BSD updates of essentially UNIX oriented technology]
 Arun>     I can't see any such activity on linux-kernel.

        Have a look at what the HURD has under the hood. (And I am not
 even talking of the Mach microkernel -- there is talk of replacing
 the aging Mach MK by something newer).

        manoj
--
 Let's do it. Gary Gilmore, to his firing squad
Manoj Srivastava   <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>