Re: Debian maintainer

Hi,
>>"skhader" == skhader  <skhader@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 skhader> Anyway the question I wanted to ask was how can I become a
 skhader> Debian Maintainer ?

        Hmm. Well, http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-start.html
 is the canonical place to start looking at what it would take to
 become a maintainer, and how to creaste a starting package (BTW: I
 personally prefer not to us the helper packages dh_make, and have
 examples people can work off in  http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/rules/).

        The practical aspects that would concern you are:
 a) proving your identity. This requires either getting photostats of
    government identity papers (passports, drivers licences, etc) and
    faxing them in, or
 b) Getting a gpg key with a signature from a Debian developer.

        Also, the new maintainer team likes to call people, so a phone
 and times when you can be contacted there would be required.

        Unfortunately, the new maintainer process is rather in
 shambles at this point -- we are working on finding and training
 volunteers for the team, but it has yet to be resolved.

        The post from the project leader is below.

        manoj

As you may have heard or even experienced yourself, Debian's
new-maintainer team is currently not processing requests.

The team wanted to resolve some problems they observed with the way
Debian maintainership is current handled, and decided to close
new-maintainer until these have been fixed.

We are currently working on a new structure for handling new-maintainer
requests, and hope to have this finished as soon as possible. There will
be a proposal on this posted on the debian-devel list in the near
future.

Once the new structure is in place new-maintainer will be reopened, and
we will make an announcement.

 "And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without
 knowing what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail. No
 exceptions." David Jones @ Megatest Corporation
Manoj Srivastava   <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>
1024R/C7261095 fingerprint = CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05  CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E8
6E
1024D/BF24424C fingerprint = 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B  924B 21BA DABB BF24
424C