Re: LI traffic and a proposal

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

<snip>

> LI-install	Installation woes
>
> LI-setup	Configuration of various pieces of software.
>
> LI-X 		Questions about installing and configuring Xfree86 and SiS cards.
>
> LI-networking	Network configuration, PPP, VSNL etc.

I suspect that we will have a problem here. When a guy cannot install RHL
6.1 (or Corel/Debian, Suse 6.3, etc.) because the graphical installation
does not recognise his display card, is that an X problem, an installation
problem or a setup issue?

I don't think we should go into *that* much detail with the lists
immediately - it would be counter-productive, and highly confusing for
newbies.

> LI-programmers	Move the egroups.com list to lists.linux-india.org

Absolutely!

> LI-misc		Anything that does not fall under any other category.

Nope, that would be LI-General.

> LI-admins	A controversial closed list.  A forum for coordinating between
> coordinators of the various regional ILUGs and other friends of Linux in
> India.

While this would be a low-volume list, I see a definite requirement for
this, and the need will grow once LI becomes more formalised in its
existence.

> LI-jobs		A mailing list to look for and post job openings.

I am in two minds about this. It makes a lot of sense, and would in fact
encourage people to advertise Linux-related jobs, but I am not sure if
this as a list makes much sense. I would rather say that
jobmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx should be an alias that people can post to so
that these positions can be posted on the web site. This will also act as
a sort of pseudo advertisement and show of power for the growth in
popularity of Linux and LI.

> Things we could consider:
>
> LI-security
> LI-news		Newsclips about Linux in India
> LI-I18n		Internationalization / Localization of Linux OS and applications
> for India

Consider yes, but not in phase one. We need to analyse the traffic and
create such lists when it becomes obvious that these topics are of
specific interest to people - say 10 posts a week on the subject over two
months.

> Things that I don't think are right:
>
> LI-commercial / LI-business:	Too broad.  And what is the point in GT
> enterprises posting to it if they are unable to reach a big audience?

Uh, I meant LI-Business should discuss corporate aspects of using Linux -
possibly an offshoot of LI-advocacy, but with less religion and more
business-focus. For example, discussions on the TCO and RoI of using
Linux. This would also be a devastating tool for countering
business-related FUD generated...uh...elsewhere.

> LI-technical:	Every luser tends to think that their question is technical.

Sadly, yes. But consider that most newbies have no clue under which topic
the problem actually falls. For example - many people think that their
problems connecting to the net are a KPPP problem (which is an X program)
when in reality is is a networking problem.

I think we should start off slowly. Break LI into a *few* catchall lists
that make sense to the average newbie and guru to encourage their
participation and sustain their interest, then slowly add more specific
topics as the need arises.

> Some more opinions of mine:
>
> * A charter of the various lists is very important.  Let us spend some time
> to iron the kinks out in a charter.  I will work on a charter over the
> weekend and post it.  Would appreciate comments / suggestions / criticisms

Good start. Also keep in mind the overall charter of LI, because the list
charter and the LI charter will be closely related. People now speak of LI
as if it is a formal body (two nights ago, I was told by a friend in high
places that he has received complaints from a certain "other" OS company
saying "*Linux India* is causing us grief").

> * Needless to say, the mailing list archive will reside under
> http://lists...org/

Absolutely, and I suggest that we have the ILUGs move there, too. We
should check with Bhavin whether he could provide separate login/webspace
for each ILUG and make DNS entries so that cochin.linux-india.org,
bangalore.linux-india.org, etc. become feasible. It will also save ILUG
coordinators $70/domain (e.g. ILUG-goa.org) without robbing them of their
individuality.

Comments?

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137