Re: P.S. to original Linux-Delhi website etc.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 10:20:19PM +0530, Sunny Holani merrily said:
> Just to add to my last point, I already see the downloads section is
> advertising some program for downloading MP3s. Next it will be
> backorifice, what?

Well, I jumped on some guy a couple of months back for doing the same
thing.  As Neil very righteously pointed out, the use of software
itself is not to be discouraged, but the precise inapproprate use
should be.

e.g. The act of ripping CDs to make MP3s at home is not be
discouraged(they constitute "fair use" as long the CDs are yours, and
only you are enjoying it). But the precise act of ripping, making MP3s
_and_ distributing it to the Junta (aka piracy) which
should be discouraged.

In other words, it is the same as deciding which side to be on in the
DeCSS or Skylarov case ;)

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya