name resolving

thanx for the response to my previous query... am now finally able to
successfully boot into linux using a floppy...

my m/c is part of the corporate LAN, dhcp services running on the NT
server.. my linux box is able to ping all the m/c's by there ip addr's(ip
addr are not specified in configuratin but are more or less constant for
each m/c) but not by their names. Is adding all the name and ip addr's in
the /etc/hosts file the only option to resolve names for my domain?? this
wud be really painful if i opt for this.... pls suggest what else can be
done in such a case.
waiting for a early response
regards
abhishek