ftp query...

Hi members....
this is a bit off topic but am sure some wiz out here can help. I need to write
a script (bat / cmd file) that will ftp a server and log in using a valid
account name and password. then it'll transfer / upload a file (simple put) onto
the server. I am not very sure as to  how to write the script for account
validation. There is a valid account created on the server so the script just
has to pass on these values to the server.
any pointers / suggestions are welcome.....
--
Cheers...
sriram.