From: Yashpal Nagar [mailto:nagar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 2:09 PM
To: Puneet Parashar; Linux-Delhi (E-mail)
Cc: Sumeet Parashar (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [linux-delhi] Localhost problem!!

Hi!

 You need to check few things..

1. make sure localhost.localdomain is written in /etc/hosts i.e

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost

2. Make sure swat is uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf

and send the HUP to inetd

killall -HUP inetd OR

/etc/rc.d/init.d/inetd restart

3.check samba is installed propelry

rpm -qa|grep samba

Bye

Yash

"Puneet Parashar" <puneet_parashar@xxxxxxxx> Wrote---

Hi everyone!

I have RedHat7.0 with samba installed. But when i try to start up swat

or enter the text: http://localhost into the Netscape address bar i

receive the following response (rather an error message):

" Netscape is unable to locate the server keyword.netscape.com. Please

check the server name and try again."

Also received with this is another message in the background:

" Warning: the following hosts are unknown:

		home.netscape.com

		home6.netscape.com

		internic.net

This means that some or all the hosts will be unreachable.

Perhaps there is a problem with your name server?

If your site must use a non-root name server you will need to set the

$SOCKS_NS environment variable to point at the appropriate name server.

It may (or may not) be neccessary to set this variable, or the SOCKS

host preference to the IP address of the host in question rather than

its name.

Consult your system administrator."

(*My guess is that Netscape is unable to resolve the hostname to IP

address.)

Please note that i am able to access our intranet sites allright. Also

the preferences are set to: "direct connection to the internet" (though

i dont have a direct connection to the net). I dont think this would

affect the localhost refernces. am i correct??

Please help me as i still a novice to LINUX.

Regds,

Puneet

Puneet Parashar

CAPS-PCC

INFOSYS Technologies Ltd.

Pune InfoTech Park

Pune (Maharashtra) - INDIA.

Two men look out through the same bars:=20

One sees the mud, and one sees the stars.