partition manager...

hi! all,

i've 20gb harddisk and have two partition on that one is primary dos
partition and other one is extended dos partition. and the extended dos
partition has three logical partitions . now i want to install linux, and
want to know that is it necessary to have the non dos partition to install
the linux and if yes then how can i do it without loosing my data. one of my
friend told me that i can do it with the help of partition managers. which
partition manager should i use ? any url will help. i'm searching on net but
can't figure out which one should i use.