From: "Jaswinder Singh Kohli" <linux4jal@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-delhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [linux-delhi] Win2k + Linux

: Here is a really long, so take time and read carefully and understand it
: before doing anything.
:
: Q. Want a dual boot system with 2k and Linux.
:
: So lets begin. Here are the steps some detailed and some in brief, out
: of them
: what you don't understand mail me.
:
:
: 1. W2k has its own boot loader NTLDR, and Linux has a lot of 'em.
:
: 2. NTLDR usually gets installed in the partition's starting bytes
: instead of
: MBR.
:     In my case which was a long long time ago. with win98, w2k, Linux.
: it was
: so.
:     Just try to figure out your boot.ini, NTLDR where are they.
:
: 3. When you install linux. install it on MBR but then you will have to
: go thru
: the
:     2 bootloaders everytime you boot 2k, but if you wanna go that way
: and
: don't wanna use any
:     options while loading 2k, better change the tmeout value to 0 or
: your
: convenient.
:     value.Give lilo the partition of your choice that is onb ehich the
: 2k is
: installed,
:     It will just pass the control to the nt loader. and from there on
: the NT
: will will boot.
:
: IT IS BETTER NOT TO DISTURB NTLDR SO USE THIS WAY.
: AND AT TIME OF INSTALLATION DON'T INSTALL LILO ON """""MBR""""".
:
: 4. The other way  is installing LILO not onto MBR but on the partition
: where
: linux is installed and
:     don't do that at install time as then you won't be able to get into
: Linux
: with boot floppies. if you have RH
:     with debian you can use the cd's to pass the command line
: parameteres to
: Linux kernel and you can get into
:     Linux( RH CD's dont support this).
:     After u are in, If you have installed the LILO on MBR. remove "lilo
: -U"
: command without quotes.
:     Change the lilo.conf file
:     the line with boot=/dev/hdaX    where X is your boot partition.
:        Run Lilo as "lilo"
:
: 5.  NTLDR uses the bootsectors of OSes to boot as a file. So  now you
: need to
: have the
:      Linux bootsector as a file availiable to NTLDR.
:      Now something about bootsector-- it is 512 bytes in size and is
: found in
: the starting of the
:      booting partition.
:      Here our boot partition is is hdaX where lilo is installed.
:
: 6. Lets make it a file. with command that follows
:
:     dd if=/dev/hdaX of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
:
: lets analyze the above command
:      dd  can be taken as diskdupe or is a raw disk copying program.
:             if  ==> Specify the input file ( Here the input file is out
: boot
: partition hdaX)
:            of  ==> Output file (Here we need the bootsector in a file so
: the
: output file so it is bootsect.lnx)
:            bs  ==> Transfer these much bytes at a time ir read 512 bytes
: and
: write 512 bytes at a single instance.( Here we
:
: need only 512 bytes so set size as 512.)
:            count => How many times repeat the above command(Here count
: =1 says
: that read and write 512 bytes only 1 time).
:
: ---
: Just copy this file bootsect.lnx to floppy dont use linux NTFS driver to
: write
: onto NTFS part., as it is in beta so may corrupt
: ure filesystem. so reboot into 2k, and edit boot.ini file as follows  if
: it is
: FAT so copy that to 2k partition and edit the
: boot.ini file as folows --:
:
: add a line under
: [operating systems] can be last
: Z:\bootsect.lnx="This is my comment for Linux"
:
: where the Z: is boot drive where boot.ini and bootsect.lnx and other
: files are
: there..
:
: reboot tye system and The Linux entry will show up and urew done so
: start.
:
:
: any comments please send it to me. jskohli@xxxxxxx
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: Ajay Kumar wrote:
:
: > Hi friends,
: >
: > I have IBM Netfinity 5600 server and I want to make it both a Win2k
server
: > and Linux server dual boot.
: >
: > (I am already using Winnt 4.0 + Red Hat Linux KDE desktop on some other
: > machine. )
: >
: > Is it possibe that Firstly I install Win2k and than install Red Hat 7.o
: > server. Is they both participate in my existing Win2k Lan.
: >
: > Regards
: >
: > Ajay Kumar
: >
: > Strength is life, weakness is death.
: >                            (Swami Vivekanand)
: >
: >
:
: --
:
:
: Regards
: Jaswinder Singh Kohli
: jskohli@xxxxxxx
: The Uni(multi)verse is a figment of its own imagination.
: In truth time is but an illusion of 3D frequency grid programs.
:
:
: The mailing list archives are available at
: http://lists.linux-india.org/cgi-bin/wilma/linux-delhi
: