Re: Win2k + Linux

Here is a really long, so take time and read carefully and understand it
before doing anything.

Q. Want a dual boot system with 2k and Linux.

So lets begin. Here are the steps some detailed and some in brief, out
of them
what you don't understand mail me.

1. W2k has its own boot loader NTLDR, and Linux has a lot of 'em.

2. NTLDR usually gets installed in the partition's starting bytes
instead of
MBR.
    In my case which was a long long time ago. with win98, w2k, Linux.
it was
so.
    Just try to figure out your boot.ini, NTLDR where are they.

3. When you install linux. install it on MBR but then you will have to
go thru
the
    2 bootloaders everytime you boot 2k, but if you wanna go that way
and
don't wanna use any
    options while loading 2k, better change the tmeout value to 0 or
your
convenient.
    value.Give lilo the partition of your choice that is onb ehich the
2k is
installed,
    It will just pass the control to the nt loader. and from there on
the NT
will will boot.

IT IS BETTER NOT TO DISTURB NTLDR SO USE THIS WAY.
AND AT TIME OF INSTALLATION DON'T INSTALL LILO ON """""MBR""""".

4. The other way  is installing LILO not onto MBR but on the partition
where
linux is installed and
    don't do that at install time as then you won't be able to get into
Linux
with boot floppies. if you have RH
    with debian you can use the cd's to pass the command line
parameteres to
Linux kernel and you can get into
    Linux( RH CD's dont support this).
    After u are in, If you have installed the LILO on MBR. remove "lilo
-U"
command without quotes.
    Change the lilo.conf file
    the line with boot=/dev/hdaX    where X is your boot partition.
       Run Lilo as "lilo"

5.  NTLDR uses the bootsectors of OSes to boot as a file. So  now you
need to
have the
     Linux bootsector as a file availiable to NTLDR.
     Now something about bootsector-- it is 512 bytes in size and is
found in
the starting of the
     booting partition.
     Here our boot partition is is hdaX where lilo is installed.

6. Lets make it a file. with command that follows

    dd if=/dev/hdaX of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

lets analyze the above command
     dd  can be taken as diskdupe or is a raw disk copying program.
            if  ==> Specify the input file ( Here the input file is out
boot
partition hdaX)
           of  ==> Output file (Here we need the bootsector in a file so
the
output file so it is bootsect.lnx)
           bs  ==> Transfer these much bytes at a time ir read 512 bytes
and
write 512 bytes at a single instance.( Here we

need only 512 bytes so set size as 512.)
           count => How many times repeat the above command(Here count
=1 says
that read and write 512 bytes only 1 time).

---
Just copy this file bootsect.lnx to floppy dont use linux NTFS driver to
write
onto NTFS part., as it is in beta so may corrupt
ure filesystem. so reboot into 2k, and edit boot.ini file as follows  if
it is
FAT so copy that to 2k partition and edit the
boot.ini file as folows --:

add a line under
[operating systems] can be last
Z:\bootsect.lnx="This is my comment for Linux"

where the Z: is boot drive where boot.ini and bootsect.lnx and other
files are
there..

reboot tye system and The Linux entry will show up and urew done so
start.

any comments please send it to me. jskohli@xxxxxxx