Monitor specs

I have a unbranded monitor (actually it's posta be branded by Samsung, but
HCL cooly peeled of its stickers put its own)  Now, when I called up HCL,
they say they don't manufacture monitors and they cannot tell which monitor
model they shipped with my machine because, they put in a lot of models.

  I needed to run X ..so I tried a few abrupt configs by putting in a few
standardized settings for Samsung and IBM models. -- and interestingly the X
runs now, but my screen kind of blinks with making a sound, even when I run
it in windows. -- does it mean, its going down south ?

  Also, can I get some help for determing on what HSync. and VSync is the
monitor configured on which the current installation is running X .. I hope,
I'm not clear .. I need to know the frequencies, since, its running at this
time with the current installation .. if I reinstall/move to a differnt
distro, I'd need them to run  X again ..

Or even are there any ways to know the ferquencies of my monitor -- no
manuals, no information about the monitor, either with me or HCL.

buggy as usual ..

- j.