Re: Modem Connection problem.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 06:56:21PM -0000, santosh wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am working on the Modem connection establishment. I am using the Flash 56 II ISA modem of Digicom company.
>
> My modem is not connected to the normal PC but it is connected on an altogether hardware. The OS on this h/w is VxWorks.
>
> In the process of making the modem UP, i was successful in dialing the the VSNL number through the modem.
> Now my problem starts hereonwards...i actually don't know whether to start the ppp connection first or wait for the login prompt coming from ISP. As different ISP's provide different procedure..
>
> I tried first with the wait for login prompt from ISP ...but my program goes in the infinite loop and hangs.
> Then i tried with the ppp connection first but it is giving the LCP: timeout sending Config request. Actually i have made the IRQ = IRQ3 and so as per my knowledge there is no IRQ conflict in my s/m.
>
> I am badly stuck at this stage....

Hmm.. here comes the LCP monster again !!

Well this is getting more silly by the minute, I have known atleast five separate reports of this problem and they were solved in as many different ways!

There are a few things you can try Santosh, and see what works for you :-)

(1) Try connecting early in the morning like 8am if possible. In one case i saw,the problem NEVER occured before 9am and ALWAYS occured after 9am till late in the evening. If it works, the problem is with your ISP's response times (my guess)

(2) Recheck your modem config and serial config. Try dialling to a dialup number like 6246300 for VSNL through minicom and see if you get a prompt and are able to start a PPP session.

(3) Read through the ppp-HOWTO and try increasing the default values for the LCP timeouts themselves.

(4) Amazingly enough, at one site, the problem occured ONLY when dialing through Linux and not through Windows. This one was a configuration issue, so try through Winduhz if you can.

(5) Pray ;-)

Do tell us how it went....

In your case, I suspect it is a config problem.

Hope This Helps

--
Cheerio!

-- Vipul Mathur
  <vipul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  (O,O)    http://www.vipulonline.com/
    <vipul@xxxxxxxxxx>     (   )  The Geek shall inherit the Earth

"...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."
(By Matt Welsh)