[isp-linux] Re: Blocking all APNIC IP Addresses

Hi Steve,

    Steve> Raju,

    Steve> I think I have the right to block out any traffic I wish on
    Steve> servers which we OWN & OPERATE. Last time I checked, our
    Steve> company is fortunate enough to be doing business in a free,
    Steve> democratic country.

Of course you do, and of course you do.  No one's stopping you from
doing what you want.  By the same token, don't stop me from doing what
I want.

    Steve> It's too bad you have seemed to take it personally. But, I
    Steve> don't think I'm alone in the problems coming from Asia.

I get crack attempts on my system from Romania, China, India, USA,
South Africa, South America, France.  I could react the way you do, by
saying ``Oh well, the US, Europe, Africa and Asia are full of
lawless crackers, so I think I'll just ban all heir IP's from my
system.''  However, I approach the problem differently: if it's my
system, it's also my responsibility to make sure that it's as secure
as I can make it, rather than to react with inane bans on IP's picked
at random out of a hat.

    Steve> And lastly, it's not very kind to be compared to "Nazis"!

Really?  Compare the following two statements:

``Jews are responsible for 90% of Germany's problems.  Let's eliminate
them'', -- Adolf Hitler, circa 1939.

``Asians are responsible for 90% of crack attempts and spam on our
systems, let's ban them [paraphrased]'', Steve West, 2001.

I can't see any difference; can you?

I'm sorry, but anyone who mindlessly wants to block nearly half the
worlds population while making generic statements like ``This is very
alarming because it speaks of the LACK of any laws'', thereby
demonstrating a complete lack of or desire for knowledge about other
countries by lumping 50 of them into one category smells strongly like
a Nazi to me.  Maybe your definitions are different.

--
Raju Mathur          raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://kandalaya.org/

Penguinistas!  Find out the latest news, tips and opinions
making its way through the Linux industry.
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/

_____________  The ISP-LINUX Discussion List  _____________
To Join: mailto:join-isp-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To Remove: mailto:remove-isp-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx