Re: linux for kids

> >well i would opt for C for small kids ... its aesy to
> >learn and similar to logo.
>
> C is similar to logo?? Wonder how you came to that conclusion. If
anything,
> logo is similar to lisp, it uses recursion a lot. I think logo is a great
> way to start programming -- beginners can start writing code within 5
> minutes. But it gets very cumbersome after a while, so I do encourage
> people to move on to C after a couple of days, by which time they have
> already understood the concepts of looping and subroutines.
all this actually depends on how well the kid can handle the fundamentals of
programming. Personally i started programming using basic, and then moved on
to C. I never had any problem grasping the basic concepts of basic from the
few books and examples i had at time. But i hav known ppl who even got
stumped by logo, and those who wud just mug up these things. The main thing
that i guess one must teach the kids is that no matter what, they shud be
able to write programs themselves, and that they shud not try to cheat. This
is the only fool proof way to teach programming. Also for most ppl, the
books followed and the teacher involved play a very imp role (and this is
the case for most subjects i guess....). If u don't hav proper books, and a
teacher (imho optional for any motivated student!) who doesn't frighten the
student, then it is very difficult to teach kids computers. I hav seen real
small kids doing c programming quite well!

Bye,