Re: [LIH] gpm problem in debian

As far as I can make out, most of the GPM troubles in Debian are due
to the fact that Debian GPM automatically repeats for X since two
programs cannot use the mouse simultaneously.  The way it works is
like this:

- gpm receives mouse input, on (say) /dev/ps2aux (PS/2 mouse)

- gpm uses that input to go whatever it is supposed to: copy, paste,
menu's, etc.

- gpm also writes data into /dev/gpmdata (a named pipe).  Any app
which reads /dev/gpmdata is fooled into thinking that it's receiving
mouse events, whereas it's actually only reading gpm's output.

Debian automatically sets up gpm so that it reads in the raw mouse
protocol (MS, PS/2, Logitech, etc) and writes /dev/gpmdata in MS mouse
protocol.  /dev/gpmdata is linked to /dev/mouse too.  Hence the X in
Debian is configured by default with /dev/mouse as the mouse and MS as
the mouse protocol.

You can change any of these by re-running mouseconfig (IIRC) which
allows you to tell gpm what protocol to repeat the mouse data in.  For
instance, I prefer it to repeat in native PS/2 format since that gives
me 3-button mouse emulation.  Once GPM has been set up with the
repeat protocol, setup X to use /dev/mouse as the mouse device and the
appropriate (repeated) mouse protocol.

man gpm and have a look at the -R option for more information.

Regards,

-- Raju

--
Raju Mathur          raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://kandalaya.org/