Re: [OT] PDA+Cell phone suggestions

Hi Raj ,
I use an Ericsson R380s , have been for a couple of months now . I think its great , i used to carry a Palm and a phone and now i just carry one device. It is bigger than a lot of phones available nowadays , but it is surprisingly light .

Compared to others , its the screen that is great . The size and the horizontal layout give you a lot of space .

The Epoch OS is currently locked so you can mess with it , in the next software release they plan to release it so you can make modifications. The synchronization is good with Lotus Organizer , never tried any other PIM , the email synch works only with Outlook , so i dont think i will ever use that aspect . Although in Win2k it does not synch every time , some issue with the OS , in 9x its great.

The WAP aspect is good , i use Airtel tango , but i think it is mainly of a novelty value . At 19.2 kpbs it really does not help much. What is really usable is the POP email client that can dial multiple ISP and pick/send email from/to multiple POP accounts.

You probably made a typo in your email , thats GPRS . I use it in USA for net connections , i think the phones with that high speed connectivity are still far away . Although some parts of USA are using a new system called Ricochet , thats 128k .

I did see the new nokia , the colour screen is awesome but the size is much bigger although it has a keyboard . The Ericsson has handwriting recog or a screen based keyboard . Pretty ok if you wanna do email and sms but writing a novel might be a bit tedious.

Stay away from the Motorola , i used it for a couple of days . Major problems , firstly the games are in Chinese no matter where you buy it from . It does not have a keypad , so you tap your finger on the screen leaving major fingerprints . And whipping out the stylus every time you wanna call is not very nice. The menu system is a mess and you will take forever to find a menu option .

hope this helps ,
- Ankur.