Re: [LIH] Compile problem

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 09:53:59AM -0500, did V Suresh write:
> Yesterday I compile the 2.4.0 sources under Debian, created a new
> kernel, and booted it. While booting it stops saying
>   fatfs: bogus cluster size
>   fatfs: bogus cluster size
> kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:05.

Whoa!

> I compiled again, but the same error occured again. While configuring, I
> had chosen support for VFAT filesystem. Is that anyway got something to
> do with this error? Please clarify.

Did you also enable support for ext2fs while compiling the kernel?  The
error message you are seeing has nothing to do with VFAT.  It is saying
that your root filesystem ('/') is not being mounted.  The root filesystem
is usually an ext2fs filesystem.

Also, use make-kpkg (in the debian-kernel package) to build custom kernels
under Debian.

Thaths
--
pub  1024R/9B7FE6BD 1998-03-25 Sudhakar Chandrasekharan <thaths@xxxxxxxxx>
Key fingerprint = 8A 84 2E 67 10 9A 64 03  24 38 B6 AB 1B 6E 8C E4