Re: [Re: what is this core?]

whenever an unusual condition occures for example u try to access an  illegal
memory location (i.e. one thet is outside the scope of the program u r tryin
to run) a file called core is created to post mortem the whole scenerio.
nonetheless u wont be needing this file.
one way to prevent the creation of such a file is to always keep such file
created with 000 permissions.
but u may find programs such as netsccape dumping core n overwriting the file.
then u will have to do it again.

bye !!

Pankaj Kaushal <apenguinhead@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 12:05:49AM +0530, Amit Soni wrote:

>Whenever u do evil things with an application. Or an application is weak in
>its self.
>It gets  so scared. It dies(abonormally) ;o).
>core is the corpse.
>Core is the exact memory dump of  the application that was once happily
>running.
>You can do a post moterm of this corpse to find the cause of  death.
One more observation

Last time I encountered a core dump was when I was on
Red hat aaa.. 1998 may be .
I think sumthin magical has to be done to dump core in debian
or the service has 2 be started or sumthin.
any pointers anybun

---end quoted text---

--
I don't care where I sit as long as I get fed.
		-- Calvin Trillin