RE: Re: free software

i agree fully to prashant verma...

	what will i eat if my software goes for free....

-----Original Message-----
From: Prashant Verma [mailto:prashantverma@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, 28 February 2001 14:44
To: linux-delhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Naksi Ink
Cc: Monica Narula; Jeebesh bagchi; Shuddhabrata Sengupta; Ravi Sundaram;
Ravi Vasudevan; Saumya Gupta; Supreet Sethi; Pankaj Kaushal; Ruchika
Agarwal; Ravikant; Deepu Sharan; Aditya Nigam
Subject: Re: [linux-delhi] Re: free software

First of all, 'Hi' from a new member. I just joined a
day ago, and would love to join the occasional
meeting. I myself am a linux newbie, and not at all an
experimenter (so far) but I am learning fast :-)
Regarding the current thread, here are some of my
opinions (I support the Selfishness Theory):

i)Knowledge does not diminish(on sharing), but the
amount of money that a business can make from any
knowledge is limited. Why invite unnecessary
competition?
ii)A business establishment invests money in research.
If they don't get anything out of it, the investors
would be quite disappointed(and stop investing in that
business).
iii)If there's no money at the end of the tunnel
(after the hard work/research is done), what is the
motivation for working. (Noble motives are quite rare
and impractical I believe).
iv)Supporting Open Software means exposing your
business secrets to the scrutiny of everyone including
your competitors.
v)As a result of (iii) above, sharing the knowledge
that you acquired after investing in it for free is
actually detrimental to society at large, because it
will lead to a situation where not enough
people/businesses find it worth their while to invest
in  research.

Well, actually the day I can figure out how I would
earn my salary despite not being able to sell my
software, I will become an ardent supporter of open
software :-)
-Prashant