mysql - c api use

I am writing a C program to access a MySQL database. I
have MySQL-3.23.31 server and client which I had
installed using their respective .rpm installers. I am
compiling the program named "myapp.c" using the
following command line parameters.

$cc -I/usr/include/mysql -L/usr/lib/mysql myapp.c -o
myapp -lm -lmysqlclient

I have included the mysql.h header file on the first
line of the program using
#include <mysql.h>

The error message on complication is
myapp.c:7: mysql.h: No such file or directory

The mysql.h, mysql.so, mysql.a files are non-existent.
Can you tell me what library or utlity is to be added
to make the program get execueted.

Thanks in advance.