telnet stops working and starts working after reboot

I am facing a very strange problem with one of my
Liunx servers. Linux machine is working fine but after
some time telnet stops working and it would not let me
connect using telnet.
I went to consol and there was an active session and i
tried to change the directory. The machine logged me
out.
Then whenever i tried to login it logged me out and
would not even let me login.
So at the end i tried windows solution and rebooted
the machine. I had to do fsck but it came back up and
alowed me to login from consol and also telnet started
working.
This keeps on happening periodically.
Anyone else faced this strange behavior?

Lokesh