How Linux was able to access a Formated Drive.

hi ,

Its my experience and any other novice out there could be benefitted by
this.

What happened was, I accidently quick formatted(using MS Dos 6.22) my C
drive (having win. partiton)..which had two O.S installed

 1)RH 6.2
 2)Win 95.

some imp. data was there on my win 95 partiton, i tried to unformat it but
was not succesful. so i booted Linux and mounted the partition on which win
95 was installed (the one i accidently quick formatted) and to my surprise
all the data was there and i was able to retrieve it.

Question:-- I want to know how this was possible? i know that quick format
just erases the FAT but how come linux was able to read the old data in the
win 95 partition.

Thanks in Advance
Yogi

Software Engineer