Re: Kernel 2.40test11 related problem.

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Bhummanjot S. Talwar wrote:

>After decompressing the archive into "/usr/src/linux2.40test11" directory,
>and making a fresh alias link "linux" to this directory. I copied the
>initial .config file into the "/usr/src/linux" directory. Then wrote "make
>oldconfig" and then selected either "y,n or m" as the case may be for the
>new options in the kernal.

Copying the old .config, IMO is a bad idea. With every new kernel release,
the structure of dependencies gets changed, and there might be conflicts
between your old configuration, and the config that the present kernel
needs. So start from scratch and just do a "make menuconfig", after a
proper "make mrproper"

>but still it halts at "pcmcia". Then I tried by enabling some pcmcia devices
>and re-compiled everything and it worked. But now the problem is that the
>sound card is not working, inspite of checking during "make modules" that
>the sound files are compiled and the same during the "make modules_install".
>But still I get the error that sound card not configured and on running
>sndconfig I get an error saying the file "soundcore.o" not found. Also, I'm
>getting errors for my File System, and NFS. I don't know what has gone
>wrong. I've checked the file systems too and the NFS too.

The 2.2.XX kernels, and all before them, place their modules directly in
directories under /lib/modules/2.2.XX/ which is where most current
configuration programs look for them. For example, sndconfig looks for the
sound modules in /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/ in a 2.2.14 kernel. The 2.2.4
kernels have changed the directory structure under
/lib/modules/2.2.4-testX/ , and the modules are now in a subdirectory of a
subdirectory of that. So sndconfig gets confused.. as will be all other
tools and config files that look in the usual locations. Time for some
manual configuration :). Personally, i modprobe my modules with complete
path in my /etc/rc.d/boot.local . Thats a lousy hack, but it atleast
works ;-).

Regards,
-- Sundeep.