Tar an bootable Floppies

Dear Friends,

Please tell me how can we make bootable floppies in RH Linux 6.2
Secondly please tell me how to create and exrtact a tape archive
I tried
tar -cvf /home/user/abc.tar /home/user/*
but it gives me errors saying the file abc.tar does'nt exist.
Then I made a blank file and used the same command but still it gives the
error cannot add to archive abc.tar.
Please tell me how to extract too... i guess it is tar -xvf abc.tar
/home/user/abc.tar /home/user.
I tried these commands from a book but they don't seem to work. MAybe you
can help
Thanx in advance.

Goldwyn :o)