Re: Partition Size

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the reply.  I could finally understand the problem and managed a
workaround.  I am giving it below for information (Also for a correction in
case my interpretation is incorrect)
- My motherboard/bios (award) is more than two years old.  Apparently it does
not support larger partitions (alternatively my copy of fdisk does not support
it; if this is possible).  I found out this after deleting everything and
playing around with the DOS fdisk (On my DOS boot floppy).
- With 'Large Disk Support' Enabled in fdisk and 'Auto IDE HDD Detection' in
bios set to 'Large' I could get a max partition size of 4 GB but total disk
size detected was 4 GB on a 8 GB disk.
- With 'Large Disk Support' not enabled in fdisk and 'Auto IDE HDD Detection'
in bios set to 'LBA' I could get a maximum partition size of 2 GB with total
disk size of  8 GB.
- (Earlier I had 'Large Disk Support' enabled in fdisk and 'Auto IDE HDD
Detection' in bios set to 'LBA' .  I coud then get 4 GB primary partition
maximum and 8 GB HDD detected.  However even with this 4 GB primary partition,
once I do a format, the formatting is done only for 2 GB; the balance 2 GB
becomes unusable)

- What I did was :
- In LBA mode, made a primary partition of 2 GB and loaded 'Windows 98'
- Installed Linux RH 6.2 using
- 23 MB for /boot
- 133 MB for Swap
- 2 GB for /
- 2 GB for /sparelx
- Using my DOS boot diskette, created a logical drive (d:) of the balance
extended partition (slightly more than 1800 MB)

I now have what I had aimed for, ie, 4 GB for windows & 4 GB for linux.

As my assessment the problem was either with my bios/motherboard or with my
copy of fdisk.