Re: Oracle on Linux

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Sk wrote:

> According to Oracle docs,
> I made the changes in files like shmparam.h and change few values like SHMMAX etc.
> Is it necessary to reconfigure kernel after doing all this ?

You need to compile the kernel and boot with the new kernel whenever you
modify the source.
Check out the Kernel-HOWTO and /usr/src/linux/README for more info.

> Can I check value of SHMMAX, SEMMNI etc without opening the file shmparam.h or sem.h ?

Run ipcs -l to find out these values.

You can set SHMMAX on a running system thru /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

e.g. echo 4294967296 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax to set SHMMAX to 4 megs.
(This can't be done in kernel 2.0)

You can probably run Oracle with the default values. You could build the
kernel later if you need to.

bye :)
Anmol