PCQ and IT.COM

All,

Here is a message from KK at PCQ and my response to his message.
Thought people here would be interested in knowing what's going
on.

	-Arun
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Arun,

First of all, thanks for the flexibility and the confidence.

We would gladly accept ILUG Bangalore as representing Linux India, till such time that Linux India discusses and finalises its charter, etc. We do appreciate that that could take time.

That said, some minor issues still remain, but they can easily be resolved, now that we have taken this significant step forward.

The first is that ILUG Bangalore is as yet not a legal body. So, can ILUG -Bangalore register itself fast? You could do a not -for profit society registration.

I believe that ILUG-Bangalore has some apprehensions about registering now, thinking that the Linux community would see this in the wrong light as they could be seen as jumping the registration gun. If you and /or  (but preferably and) Thaths ask them to do this, while the LI registration is pending, then that could be handled. The process should not take more than a week. I would be happy to help if required (in my personal capacity, given my previous experience with the Cooperative movement)

In my original letter, I had raised the issue of factions, et al. Your mail also has some prominent LUGs missing in endorsing this idea. Delhi, Trivandrum,Cochin (I may seem to be partial to Kerala, but then I come from that part of the country ;-)) and Pune come to mind immediately.

Your CCing your message to the lists should cover this problem.

But, since we cannot monitor the discussions in all the regional lists, and to avoid possible claims of not being involved, of being short circuited, etc, may I suggest that that the Coordinators from each representative LUG email their own ILUG mailing lists, cc to me and you, stating that this nomination is being made  for IT.COM, as LI is not formally structured and registered, and that such a nomination is acceptable. (The fact that the li-reg list is a private list and that all LUG members don't actually know what is being discussed there also weighs in my suggesting this small but important step).

I know that this is a long letter, and hope you do not get the impression that I am trying to be difficult. PCQ just wants to ensure that all parties get a fair deal, and are protected from accusations or complications ( like we faced last year when it came to accounting for the expenses) later on.

I assume that you will be addressing these minor issues and am restarting the IT.COM process here at PCQ. Could you please identify the coordinator of ILUG-Bangalore ( is that Jessica or is it Biju Chacko or is it someone else? Perhaps they will elect / appoint a new person, once they register themselves). I now need to get in touch with this person.

PCQ has tried to be a propagator of Linux in India for many years now - nothing would please us more than being able to continue this role at IT.COM 2000.

Once again, thanks for all the help and for understanding and acomodating our dilema.

Regards
kkkg