Re: Please read

--- Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Duh? Why do LUG's have to "legally" meet?  Why does opening a
> canteen at a meet have to open you up for prosecution?
>
>And please I am asking these because I dont understand the
> issues that you face.  I am not against anything.

It's simple. We face a lot of incidental costs during a meet that are I have
to bear as co-ordinator. If I collect say Rs50 from just the active members
once a year thats about Rs5000. If everybody contributes it's Rs15,000. I
can't keep that in a sock under my bed. I sure can't keep it in *my* bank
account. Tax issues.

To open a LUG Bank account, etc, etc.

> I am sure you see my point.  It is evident that the LUG's need
> to be given some kind of "autonomy" on how they wish to
> conduct their meetings.  So this formality can be a part of
> the particular LUG's charter?  It is unfair to expect all
> LUG's to be similar.

You are absolutely right. We need to expand on this concept.

> Neither do I. :) I think the problem is one of communication.
> Some of us simply havent been to any of ILUGB meetings.  We do > not
understand the scale, magnitude of the things you do.
> This again reinstates the importance of a core group of
> communicating local LUG members.

There is some talk of doing a mini-expo on Multimedia on Linux as our next
meet. Just think of the arrangements for that.

>Please dont make serious accusations like this.  :) There was
> one post by Raghavendra Bhat in this vein, but we all know his > views on
the subject.  Certainly, not everyone subscribes to
> his views.  And please, I dont mean that Raghavendra Bhat is
> wrong or right.  To each his/her views.

I may have gone off the deep end. See below.

> Sure, I agree.  People need to make money.  But remember there
> are people who are of the view that linux has to remain a
> hobby OS.  I am not one of them.  But we need to respect other > views
too. Similarly they must see our point.

> Even debian needs money, SPI manages their assets, people
> donate money and all of us have the greatest respect for the
> debian folks.  Maybe we need to understand how debian works?

I agree.

>     Biju> There is no gain in analysing people's motives. We can only
>     Biju> judge from their actions. So if anybody comes up with an
>     Biju> idea let us judge it using the baseline "Does this
>     Biju> ultimately benefit Linux in India?".
>
> 	Yes, and we need to define "benefit" too. :) <Prabhu Shakes
> his head: Maye I'm doing too many math cources! ;>

:)

> Biju> Finally, let me address the "insignificance" of IT.COM. In
>     Biju> IT.COM LI would have had national exposure with support from
>     Biju> an organisation that is a force in IT in India. By declining
>     Biju> to participate due to internal organisational problems we
>     Biju> have demonstrated to the IT community that Linux in India is
>     Biju> composed solely of amateurs who cannot be trusted to honor
>     Biju> their commitments. Whether or not this is true, this does
>     Biju> not bode well for the long term future of Linux in India.
>
>Gosh! Who ever said dont participate in IT.com?  If you are
> referring to my posts, please reread them carefully.  All I
> said was that we should not hurry this formalisation thing
> before IT.com.  I did split too many hairs but I apologized
> for that later.

Arun has written to PCQ (our sponsors) informing them that this list has
decided that LI will not be participating in IT.COM. PCQ is not willing to
sponsor a regional organisation. That is the highlight of my LUG's year.
We've been discussing it since the last IT.COM. My LUGers are naturally
unhappy. *I'm* really upset. Naturally, I'm inclined to be less than polite.
My apologies if I offended anybody.

>     Biju> I am sure that I will now get flamed by those who somehow
>     Biju> see purity in penury. If that is the price of speaking one's
>     Biju> mind, so be it.
>
> 	Sometimes you dont say anything wrong and are flamed. :) Life!

Sux!

> Please respect the privacy of this list.

Why?

Biju

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com