Re: A few minutes from the ILUGC meet - 23rd Dec, 2000

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote (prabhu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

>     Raja> I've already posted this message once, but it has not
>     Raja> appeared on the list.
>
> Well, it didnt show up because you posted it from an address that is
> not subscribed to ilugc.

Probably my fault, I've been playing with mutt+sendmail so that even from
different machines I can set the same from address. This sometimes does not
work (and causes much grief!).

> If you want to send messages from other addresses you can subscribe those
> addresses and then set them on vacation.

Now why did'nt _I_ think of that! :P

> However, IMHO you are not entirely correct. An object must have an
> "immutable hash". The object itself need not be immutable.

> A class instance is certainly not "immutable"!

I had a funny feeling when I said that class instances are immutable.
Instances are surely not immutable, but python was happy and thus my incorrect
assumption. Thanks for clearing this up.

> Raja> An interesting note, the parameter passing mechanism is very
> Raja> similar to tuple assignment. This is also how keyword args
> Raja> work,
>
> I thought that the tutorial deals with this pretty well.  Or I am I
> missing something??

No, you're not missing anything. I do not like the Perl parm passing mechanism
very much. I read about python's implementation somewhere (not on the web) and
thought that it was a very sensible way of doing it (and was pretty exicted).
Little did I realise that like you said, this is well documented in the
tutorial, ref.
http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/node6.html#SECTION006600000000000000000

Btw, IMO the idea of continuing a topic like python over several meets and in
considerable depth is _very_ good. This has always been something that I have
wished for in the Victorian Linux Users Group meets. We get high profile
people talking about mundane/boring/basic stuff - annoying. Really makes me
want to attend the next ilugc meet. More interesting stuff at ilugc :)

- Raja