Dyn IP funda (was Re: phpised voting...)

hi,

    Suraj> Cookie? That would be, as srini says, someone's-watching-me
    Suraj> kind of thing that not every one likes.

    Suraj> Yup, now its all fixed. The script logs the IP of the
    Suraj> person who uses it. but wont it create a chance of
    Suraj> getting-left-out for dialup users? For example:

    Suraj> user A votes. Now his IP would be logged. After this guy A
    Suraj> disconnects and another user B dials into the same ISP and
    Suraj> if B gets the same IP that A got, he is definitely going to
    Suraj> be denied by this script to vote.  How can we tackle this?

This is a bad problem for folks behind a proxy too.

Here is an alternative.  Set up a db on chennailug.  I can send suraj
or a special address a list of all the email addresses that are
currently subscribed.  Actually, this is relatively easy.  I will make
the who command for ilugc private - i.e. all members can find out who
are on the list.  Subscribe a special chennailug address to the list
and set it on vacation.  then you can run an hourly/daily cron job on
chennailug that asks the list who are members and auto-updates the db.
Each user on the list has a password that he can modify online.
Default passwords are mailed to the user when they subscribe.  Then
when folks want to vote they click on the choice, enter their password
and say ok!

<snip>

    Suraj> runs a db in aero.iitm.ernet.in (i know prabhu will reply
    Suraj> 'already there are a lot of things running on aero, so
    Suraj> thats not possible' (-; ) and the script on chlug will use
    Suraj> this remote db.

You guessed right. ;) We will discuss this issue today at the meeting.