Re: how to access Linux formatted (ext2fs) floppies in WIN

M K Saravanan wrote (mksarav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> like mtools on Linux, is there any tools on WIN to access Linux formatted
> floppies (ext2fs)?

Good resason not to use ext2 on floppies :-)

There used to be a nice vxd for win95/85 that you could use to "mount" ext2
filesystems onto windows drives. This was readonly for a long time and
probably still is. It used to live at the following url, but now the link
seems dead -
    http://www.globalxs.nl/home/pvs/

John Newbigin from swinbourne uni (not far from where I live) has an explorer
lookalike that reads and writes ext2 on win*. I have not used this, but here
is the url anyway -
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

There was also some discussion on the KHG about implementing a cdrom like
device driver for ext2 under DOS. I don't know what became of it.

IMHO formatting ext2 floppies is a pain as it is troublesome to find ext2
read/write support for win/mac. I don't think that there are any real
advantages in using ext2 on a floppy anyway. The easiest solution is to roll
your files into a tarball and dump it on to a fat floppy :-)
This really works, trust me!

- Raja