Re: banglinux & IT.COM is not needed for India

hi,

Relax folks!  Please understand that different people are entitled to
different opinions!  No flame wars are required.

<snip>

    Raghavendra> students in Govt. schools is the need.  We shall tell
    Raghavendra> them about an alternative and contribute our effort
    Raghavendra> in propagating the politics of the GNU.
				^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oooh, I think we all have enough of politics.  I hope you mean
policies, but I think we have enough of that too. ;)

    Raghavendra> We *all* know the problem of POVERTY.  I think that
    Raghavendra> the *poverty* as in the minds of Thaths is what is
    Raghavendra> hampering our efforts.  U make a mountain of a
    Raghavendra> molehill.  OK, now U have made a mountain of it, can

OTOH, since you think that it is a molehill one should suppose that it
is not really a problem?  It is a problem and a serious one at that -
by no means a molehill.

    Raghavendra> U please tell us how U can find a solution to this ??
    Raghavendra> We have to find a solution within this matrix which
    Raghavendra> has poverty within it.  Vivekananda's quote is
    Raghavendra> relevant to a totally different issue.  I request U
    Raghavendra> not to make the original posting irrelevant by UR
    Raghavendra> off-tangent remark.  Please refrain from commenting
    Raghavendra> on *poverty* if U cannot fully understand the larger
    Raghavendra> issues involved.

I dont think anybody ever understands anything completely, ever!  So
please relax!

    Raghavendra> The original posting is a carefully thought out one
    Raghavendra> which cannot be silenced by one-liners like "It is a
    Raghavendra> sin to preach to a starving man" (quoting
    Raghavendra> Vivekananda) ;-)

Thaths hardly silenced MKS.  He merely said that there is a far more
serious issue to be looked at.  IMHO what Thaths was trying to say was
that there a host of other serious issue to be solved before we think
of spreading the message of GNU/linux.  What do you think a person is
going to care if you tell him GNU is free and provides all kinds of
free software when he cannot eat nutritious food each day, even
read/write, access a decent public library and does not have access to
a computer.

However, there are three categories of people here that I can think
of.  (1) The knowledgeable (who know of free software) and who have
all the means to use that knowledge, (2) those who have all of the
basic amenities of life, who are educated and interested in computers
but who are ignorant of free software and (3) those who dont have the
basic amenities.  I think MKS's original post was targeted to the
second of the three categories.  The first kind already knows of free
software and the third category is beyond the scope of free software.
Only the middle remains.  The question is, does the second category
have access to computers?  If so what kind.  Who are responsible for
these comps.  Once these are answered I think one can deal with the
problem intelligently.