Re: strange error with eth0

> > i had a similar (but not the same) problem
> > "eth0 reports out of resource"
> > this error came up when i tried to ftp a huge file ~200Megs

My take on this is that this is due to out of memory woes. Try increasing the
TX_RING_SIZE value in the NIC driver source. I think you can safely increase
it to 64 or 128 and not cause any trouble.

Unfortunately this fix only delays this problem, but does not solve it
completely. The final solution would be to implement better resource
allocation in the kernel. Lots of research work is being done on this topic,
look around for it.

> i get the message not only when doing large transfers over the net, but also
> when i write cd's at higher than 4x. of course, while cd writing,

I think that the same rationale applies here... busy cpu and fast ethernet.
If you are using any recent version of cdrecord (which has realtime scheduling
enabled), you may starve the network driver.

On our machines - dual p3 512MB,  100Mbit 3Com, 8xSCSI CDR, debian 2.2 -
produce no errors with 8x writes, even under heavy network and cpu load.
It's probably low SCSI overhead and the 2nd cpu that's keeping us healthy.

>i am now unplugging the ethernet cable and fixing the problem (ahh, looks
>like a windoze fix!?).

How 'bout the IBM solution - "Buy more resources(TM)" :))

- Raja