Re: regarding squid

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, kamesh jayachandran wrote:

> Hai all,
> I am fighting with squid for the past few days,but not successful at running
> it.
> when I run it it runs for some time(only for 30 secs) and then exits.But know
> error message.I am running squid 2.3.

hopefully, you are connected to the net when squid is started; by default,
squid will run some dns calls at start up and if the names cannot be
resolved, it will exit. the config file contains the names that will be
tested. the tests can be disabled by starting squid with the appropriate
option (-D, i believe), or, the names can be substituted with names that
will resolve without a net connection (perhaps from /etc/hosts).

and now, here is what i consider a nice squid setup that we are presently
running in the computer centre at iitm. four numbers of p3 linux boxen,
all answering to the same name, each with 512mb ram. about half the ram is
for squid, and most of the other half is for a ramdisk which holds
logfiles and pseudo disk cache directory; the log files and pseudo disk
cache directory are periodically dumped to disk (2*18gb ultra2scsi) so
that squid need not start up with an empty cache each time. at boot time,
the disk dump is reloaded back into the ramdisk before squid starts. and
of course, the 4 squids talk to each other. (not all features presently
implemented, but this is where we are headed). not bad, eh?

sriram, g-ascii(0)