DAX modem - peculiar problem?

Hi all

    I recently bought a new dax modem (btw is it winmodem? the doc doesn't
seem to talk of anything like that.). I'm running on Debian potato. My modem
is on ttyS0 and mouse is on ttyS1 (which works well).

    When I reset the modem it doesn't seem to init as the ones I've seen in
the internet centres. when I run minicom, TR goes on and then nothing
happens. atx0/atz/atd... nothing works.

    I tried wvdialconfig /etc/wvdial.conf but it says that there aren't any
modems (neither on ttyS0 nor on ttyS1)

    Is it a fault in the modem itself? I tried nomouse+modem_on_ttyS1...
nothing fruitful.

    pls help.

        -Suraj