/dev/sequencer configging

hi all,

    I have a C-Media PCI audio accelerator which is supported. Having come
with a very poor documentation, this card has been detected (not by
sndconfig, but manually)and is able to play all sounds that require
/dev/dsp, /dev/audio, I'm unable to play midi files.

$ playmidi /usr/share/sndconfig/sample.midi
/dev/sequencer not configured

$

How do I configure /dev/sequencer? Fresh meat doesn't seem to talk of
anything like seqconfig or something. this sequencer thing is I guess
something to do with the synthesizer. That's why festival too doesn't work.
doom-musserver fails to load with the same error msg "couldn't open
/dev/sequencer" or something like that.

Please help.

    -Suraj