Re: selective access to ftp

"Dr. P. Sriram" proclaimed:
> using the standard linux distribution (or otherwise), is it possible to
> give controlled access to the ftp tree? for example, i want some portions
> of the ftp tree to be available only to local users (with a preset range
> of ip addresses), while other portions of the ftp tree may be available to
> general public.  any suggestions? solution for similar restriction when
> the ftp tree is accessible through http (apache) is also welcome.

It is not easy (and may infact be impossible) do do this with FTP.  Some
ideas:

1. Seperate the stuff into anonymous FTP versus non-anonymous FTP.
Local users will use non-anonymous FTP.

2. The seperation of global files versus local-only files should happen
as far up the FTP tree structure as possible.  Also, the splitting
should not exist in multiple locations.  I.e., you should not have
local-only content in one branch of the global tree.

It is much easier to do this HTTP.  The HTTP access control mechanism
using .htaccess is very sophisticated.  You can grant or deny access to
content based on IP address (range), username/password, cookie etc.

Thaths